Elder Brigham Blake

Email: Brigham.Blake@myldsmail.net

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

January 7, 2015

Eyyy familia y amigossss
Writing after another great week in the city of San Fran. Things have died down a little bit from the Christmas and New Year season, but the streets are still crazy as ever on the weekends. These past few weeks we've had quite a big drought in lessons, and hopefully things will start to pick back up as life calms down.
I'm coming straight from Santiago right now from a medico (doctor appointment for my comp). I don't know how on earth this is possible but my comp has quote, 'allergies to the cold'. Didn't think that was possible here, because its dang hot allll the time! Anyway he got some medicine and we should be good to go. I forgot my journal and camera so this letter is gonna be a little weak  - lo sientooooo!
This week, like all weeks has had its ups and downs. All three of our baptisms for the 17th have been pushed back. Edwin doesn't feel like he has a strong enough testimony yet and the other two have been away with familia for the past two weeks. Not on track to be ready for the 17 but, thankfully they both have strong testimonies of el libro de Mormon and Jose Smith.
Absolutely my highlight of this week was Monday. We had a full day split with our zone leaders and I got to lead my area; it felt kind of like an interview to see if I'm ready for my comp to go. I lead all the lessons etc and passed with flying colors. Sotello told me that my Spanish has really improved since our last intercombio and I really attribute that to prayer and fasting. Alma 17 vs 2 and 3....read it and live it!!!
 Now these sons of Mosiah were with Alma at the time the angel first appeared unto him; therefore Alma did rejoice exceedingly to see his brethren; and what added more to his joy, they were still his brethren in the Lord; yea, and they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth; for they were men of a sound understanding and they had searched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God.
 But this is not all; they had given themselves to much prayer, and fasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophecy, and the spirit of revelation, and when they taught, they taught with power and authority of God.
Monday we had an awesome lesson with a less active member Martin. Easily one of my favorite people we teach here in san fran. Even though he has had his challenges, he's always so positive and willing to change. This lesson he opened up and told us that in the past he's been heavily dependent on pot. He would smoke on average, fifteen times a day. His biggest goal for this new year is to cut the habit, y dejar la calle...leave the streets! 
Of all the lessons I've learned on my mission, I think humility is by far the most important. I firmly believe that we have a loving, merciful Father in heaven that is ready and willing to help us with any and every challenge we have. I really am only an 18 year old kid who has sacrificed two years to preach and help others come unto Christ. I don't know much about life, the only experience I have living alone was 2 months at BYU and I can barely call that experience haha. Mucho veces, I really feel like I have no idea how I'm doing what I am because the mission is sooo different from my life before. This time we have here is for us to be stretched and tested Alma 12 v 24. And I know absolutely that when we keep the commandments we will be blessed. I have absolutely seen the hand of God here in the work, helping and guiding me to help others. 
Misc cosas.
Huge shot-out to basically all of my extended 'family', Marriots, Van Duzers, Desutters, Dowlings for Christmas cards. And to the Clites/Romos for the Christmas care package. I know I've forgotten some people but please just know that any letter I have gotten has been like a little piece of gold.
Anyways, much love from the DR
Stay humble and be grateful for our great fortune but also afflictions!
Love Elder Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment