Elder Brigham Blake

Email: Brigham.Blake@myldsmail.net

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Last of 2014

Dear family and friends,

Can't really describe how great this week has been. Lo empanzo (it started with) with an amazing hour and a half with Isaac and the Family, and then another 30 with Nick the Peretti. I feel awful at how poorly I described the purpose of  missionary work, but my excuse is that I was feeling guilty for how long I skyped...gotta repent!
Talking in Spanish with Isaac and hearing Dad's prayer and watching Mom start Christmas dinner was with out a doubt the highlight of Christmas. Da me six months and I'll be a straight up Dominican thug Isaac. Man Spanish is gonna be epic.
Anyway, I have very limited time, the one thing I have really learned this week is that happiness is a choice. To really enjoy any hard situation in life it is imperative to focus on the things we can fix, turn outward like Christ would. A few examples:
My Comp. He's a goof ball. He really only does the bare minimum requirements as a missionary. For the first transfer I was with him this really bugged me, he never does the dishes, studies language with me etc. The things he does are very self-centered, totally fine but it was really hard at first. We would fight because I would try to force him to be more obedient...doesn't work! Service and submitting to his will has really helped. 
The people. Being the only gringo in a place like here has its challenges, especially me being so new to the mission. I've gotten to the Rubio comments and the comments about my hideous accent etc. I can't control how the people treat me but I can control how I respond. As I have thought (in Spanish Isaac) this past week, to be a representative of Jesucristo is very hard, but I will only change here on the mission if I try to be a representative of him. Wearing the the name tag isn't enough. To be a missionary means to live in a way that Jesus Christ would live.
I can't even begin to express how grateful I am for this mission and for my family. Yeah, there are a lot of problems here, it's dangerous at times and I don't agree with my comp a veces. But I can't control that.  As I have come to enjoy this people, country, comp, it's only been through turning outward in love and service. 
D&C 24 v 8 Be patient in afflictions, for thou shalt have many; but endure them, for, lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of thy days.
D&C 121 v 7   My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
 
John 15 v 13  Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Sorry for no pics, I promise I'm still beautiful. Jajajaja
Con Amor, 
Elder Blake

No comments:

Post a Comment