Elder Brigham Blake

Email: Brigham.Blake@myldsmail.net

Friday, January 22, 2016

Week of Repentance

This week has been rough!
Many of our baptismal dates have fallen through and at times I feel like Elder Corder and I have lost our mojo. Many times this week we have come home and I have thought like, what the heck am I doing wrong? I think Saturday was our lowest day of this week, we only taught two lessons and everyone kind of fell through. The worst part is that we had to drop Berlin because he decided to work on Sundays again without telling us; it is a huge bummer. However after a sweet personal study on Monday and an awesome zone conference yesterday I felt that God was helping me understand what I need to fix and how to do it. Basically it comes down to doing the little things and having a better attitude. I read a conference talk about repentance, and was able to understand that there is a lot that I need to change:

Principally, judgement.

This week Elder Corder and I were very humbled. As we were walking home, we stopped in a colmado to buy some food. A drunk guy started to poke fun at us. He thought we didn't speak Spanish so I responded, and then another guy stepped in (who I misjudged as a drunk and he told us that he wanted us to come by and teach him.) He said his name was Darwin Reyes and that he liked the word of God. I didn't take him seriously so he asked me to pull out my agenda and note his name for Sunday at 5pm. I kind of brushed it off and we went on our way. Thursday night as we were walking home Darwin, started shouting at us from his apartment complex so that we came over because he wanted to give us a gift, and he threw down two new toothbrushes and reminded us of our lesson on Sunday. I judged him and thought that he was just trying to bribe us or something. I shrugged him off again and didn't really think much of our lesson for Sunday. Doing our nightly planning Saturday we had not planned on going to his house. Anyways Sunday rolled around and at 5:45, our lesson fell through so we decided to go contact this Darwin guy. We went to his complex and it was REALLY sketchy; it smelled like weed and beer etc. We knocked on a few doors with no respónse so we decided to leave, and Darwin walked up the stairs. He told us he had been waiting for 30 minutes. We said sorry and sat down to teach him and it was a KILLER lesson. We gave him a pamphlet and invited him to read it and pray. We went back last night and he told us he read the whole pamphlet and prayed to know if Jose Smith was a prophet and if the Book of Mormon was the word of God, even though he didn't have one!! We talked about how he could get an answer last night and invited him to get baptized, he accepted. Leaving his apartment last night Elder Corder and I vowed to never judge someone as we had judged Darwin. Who are we to judge and decide who can hear the message of the restoracion? After two lessons he has become one of the coolest people we are teaching. I have no doubt that he has been prepared to recibir este evangelio.

I love you all, and I love this work. I know that the Lord can work miracles when we are humble and meek. I know that the Lord requires humble servants, and although I'm not pérfect he knows that I'm trying!

Amo a ser misionero.
Les quiero mucho
Elder Blake






No comments:

Post a Comment