Elder Brigham Blake

Email: Brigham.Blake@myldsmail.net

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Oct 16 - One week left in the CCM


First and Foremost I want to better explain my purpose as a missionary. I regret at how poorly I explained the purpose of a mission to people that were genuinely interested. I missed a lot of missionary opportunities! My purpose for the next two years is to simply invite others to come unto Christ by helping them receive the restored gospel through faith in Jesus Christ and his atonement, repentance, baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost and enduring to the end. It's awesome how simple my purpose is and how simple my life will be for the next two years.

Okay now that I got that off my chest lemme fill y'all in on my week! As I mentioned last week (I think) I went went on splits all day Friday. It was my first true test as a missionary and I got those pre-game butterflies that I miss so much. (Hope the raiders are doing well) I met up with my companion, Elder Riviera, a savage from Guatemala who doesn't speak a lick of English at a church in Santo Domingo at around 1:30 and took a forty five minute metro ride to the middle of no where. By the time we got to our area it was raining buckets, hardest rain I've ever seen in my life. I went to pull out my umbrella but Riviera digo, "No necesite" haha so I said okay and walked through this small town in the pouring rain, I got soaked but it was sweet. The roads turned into rivers and the sidewalks into streams. Everyone threw their trash out of their houses on to the streets. No one cleans up the road and its dang gross. We walked five minutes and then took a "taxi" it was a tiny little truck to our real area. I haven't been able to think of a way to describe it that does this town justice. The closest I have gotten to is it was like the hedge maze in Harry Potter Four but with cement and tin houses. There was one main road and if you took a left or right you enter a labyrinth of cement and tin....talk about humbling. My companion and I had three appointments that went really well. We talked about 1st Nephi in two of the lessons and prophets in the third. In between lessons Elder Riv had me lead contacts. In the labyrinth people don't have doors. So as we walked I would just yell into peoples shacks "Saludo! Comó esta! Tiene una minuto por un cuarto mensaje?" And whatever else I needed to say to get into these peoples "houses".
Of the six contacts I led we got into four houses and taught four thirty minute lessons and set up five appointments for this week. Dang these people are awesome! I couldn't really understand everything that people said but I understood basically all of our lessons and was able to help teach a little. But my duty was primarily to bear testimony and pray. It was dope. I can't wait to go out tomorrow and then start the real deal on Tuesday!

Okay other news. Everyone in my district has just been counting down the days to the field. Our teachers have kind of cooled down and we've had every grammar lesson so basically we just review grammar and teach all day long. The CCM has taught me a lot, but it's time to move on to bigger and better things.

Sunday we had two awesome tape-delayed devotionals from Elders Holland and Bednar. Two of the biggest spiritual savages in the league. Bednarz devo was basically a big Question and Answer. I forgot the notes in my room, but take my word for it. It was dang awesome. But Holland's was wicked awesome. He took us through our missionary objective word by word. He is like the Ron Artest of Apostles. He'll throw some spiritual elbows and get in your face.

Other weird tid bit of info. Dominicans are really weird when it comes to holidays. They don't celebrate Halloween because they're afraid of evil spirits or something. And obviously they don't have Thanksgiving so people are already getting ready for Christmas. At the store last Tuesday about half of the store was dedicated to Christmas decorations. Haha it is ridiculous. I miss the United States and our holidays. As nice as it is to walk outside every waking second of the day and be hot, I miss the New England fall! 

Gosh I don't really have much else to write about. I know every week it sounds like I'm homesick and miss home. But I'm sorry, I really don't. I love this gospel and this work so much.
Also, huge shout out to Earthworm Dean for the mission call. San Antonio Tejas! My home town, you're going to love it.

I know this next week will be one of the hardest weeks of my life. I get to take the training wheels off and just ride. I know that I'll fall down a few times, get a few cuts but it's all about getting back on the bike. This might be a bad analogy because I learned how to ride a bike in one day. And I think it'll take a few more days to adjust to Spanish and Santiago. But hey I'm ready! 

Love you all and hope you have wonderful week.
Con Amor, Elder Blake       
​Me and Oldroyd, best CCM companion I could have asked for
Me and my Jamaican friend Elder Banton. I don't know if I'm throwing up gang signs. But he said if I do this I'll be a "true Jamaican"







No comments:

Post a Comment